- Sunday 15 December 4pm - Holiday Party at Bob and Meg's. White Elephant Gift Exchange! Call Bob at 703-403-8496 to RSVP and for directions
Mark Your Calendars
Ann has been keeping a running list of possible salon topics...
- What events in history (personal, local, or world) would you change? What negative or unintended consequences might follow from changing that specific part of the past?
- What are the effects of feeling you are in control of your life and actions vs predestined, fate?
- What is the actual value of honest feedback? What would you want honest neutral feedback, critique, judgement or criticism on, if anything? (I.e., personality? appearance? professional performance? beliefs or values?)
- Leading by example: cost/benefit on setting example for children? emerging democracies? human rights? etc
- Corollary: Can/should we expect or ask for 'better' behavior by public figures, and/or should that be imposed on people who take on roles including public service (police e.g.), teaching, clergy, hyper-local offices (county commissions e.g.)?
- Corollary: Now apply thoughts about the above roles to how we react to celebrities, 'stars', sports figures, etc.
- Book reviewer Carolyn See [in a review of A.S. Byatt Little Black Book of Stories] recalled the pact between Wordsworth and Coleridge to see if one of them could "make familiar things strange", the other to "make strange things familiar." (Nope, she didn't include how that turned out!) As ever-changing technology, discoveries, instant transmission of news, ideas and images, both the sublime and the slimey, would there still be any concepts, objects, ideals, words or behaviors to tinker with??
- Corollary: what are the drawbacks of honesty?
- Discuss themes that repeat across all cultures and religions.
The Funny Papers
Questions about this site or the salon?
Contact Ken at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-558-0446